- Made In Japan’s B side of Hozac’s 7” release of Instant Hit can be heard on the archived show from KZFR. Hear Drew debut, You Never Had It So Good on his April 30 Revolutions Per Minute Show. The song starts at 47:44. http://kzfr.org/broadcasts/
- Made In Japan’s new single, Instant Hit was played on Charlie Edwards show, THE QUAKER GOES DEAF at WESN.org on May 6 2016. You can hear his archived shows at: http://thequakergoesdeaf.tumblr.com/Words from Charlie Edwards of WESN:Made In Japan—Instant Hit—7” single (Hozac) Previously unreleased super-catchy garage pop from 1979 with hook-driven guitar lines that infiltrate the hum ‘n’ bounce center of body & brain. Great, fun songs from this band which included former members of Cyclops, Quintessence, Savoy Brown & Heavy Metal Kids. Bonus bit: The band was featured in the “first punk-shock horror” movie from 1980, “New Year’s Evil”.
- Here’s a review From Audio Ammunition of Made In Japan and the new 7″ out now on Hozac Records
“The story of L.A.’s Made In Japan is an unfortunate one, but sadly one that’s heard all too often. This is another “slipped through the cracks” tale of a brilliant band that somehow fame and/or recognition eluded. They were featured in the 1980 horror film New Year’s Evil where they caught the ear of the Hozac folks. They were never signed and released only one other promotiona…l 7” back in the day, but only to promote the film. Their music is of course MAGNIFICENT. It’s like The Nerves mixed with the Jam and stirred up with an Alex Chilton stick. It’s a slice of late 70’s/early 80’s New Wave/Power Pop in its most glorious light. How this band never got any bigger is definitely a mystery of the ages. – J Castro
- New 7” on Hozac Records is now available. Instant Hit / You Never Had It So Good.
- In March of 2016, the Chicago based record company, Hozac Records has released two Made In Japan songs from the band’s early days. A limited quantity of 500 copies of the 7” vinyl record were made available. Here’s the link to order:http://hozacrecords.com/made-in-japan/Link to write-up of record on Hozac website:
- Band is currently in the studio recording new material.
- The process starts with Tony visiting David at his home in England, where they write and record the basics of new material. Those recordings are brought back to Los Angles where the rest of the band add their parts to complete the songs. The results are instant classic songs that capture the feel and sound of the band from its beginnings with a quality that appeals to the modern ear.
- Cest la Vie featured in new independent film, Biggest Game In Town
- Independent filmmaker, John Nava is set to release his latest film, The Biggest Game In Town in June of 2016. Made In Japan’s bass player, Bobby Asea was hired to perform in his movie as part of a band that performs in one of the scenes. After Bobby submitted a few Made In Japan songs for the soundtrack, John selected the new Made In Japan song, Cest la Vie to be used in the movie.
- Poorhouse is up for title song for new E network reality show
- The E network is highly considering launching a new reality show that will be using a Made In Japan original song called Poorhouse as its title song.
- Article in Heavy Soul
- Fanzine from the UK.
- The UK record company, Heavy Soul Records also puts out a fanzine. It is a 52 page fanzine that features interviews with current scenesters and original ’60s and ’79 Mods. There will be an article on Made In Japan in an upcoming issue. You can find out about Heavy Soul Records here:
- Instant Hit played on Goldie’s Garage on Little Steven’s Underground Garage SIRIUS Satellite Radio Program.
The new release of Instant Hit has been getting airplay on radio stations such as Little Stevens Underground Garage on Genya Ravens show called Goldies Garage. Also on Drew Traulsen’s Show, Revolutions Per Minute on KZFR Chico California. His show is archived on the Radio Station’s website: http://www.kzfr.org/shows/rpm The song can be heard on the April 2 2016 show. You can hear the song at 30:24…..verbal mentions and a thank you to the band follow at 39:05
HEAVY SOUL! MODZINE ARTICLE: HEAVY SOUL! MODZINE Issue 3 April 2016